I spend a lot of my time communicating my research to a variety of audiences, and trying to inspire an interest in science. In addition to regular outreach events, where colleagues and I talk about our science in person, much of this communication is done through journalism. I founded, and act as a commissioning editor for, public-outreach website Palaeontology [online]. The site provides an outlet for researchers to write about their work, in short articles aimed at older high-school-aged students and interested adults. If you're interested in contributing, please email me. I've also written numerous articles with the intention of making elements of my own (or other people's) research more accessible — and papers about outreach itself. A selection of all of these are listed below.
- Garwood, R.J. 2015. Analysis of fossil organisms using computer techniques. AccessScience. McGraw-Hill Education. doi:10.1036/1097-8542.YB150677
- Garwood, R.J. 2014. Life as a palaeontologist: Palaeontology for dummies, Part 2. Palaeontology Online 4(2): 1-10. [View]
- Garwood, R.J. 2013. Life as a palaeontologist: Palaeontology for dummies, Part 1. Palaeontology Online 3(12): 1-11. [View]
- Garwood, R.J., Dunlop, J.A., Giribet, G. & Sutton, M.D. 2013. Opiliones fósiles. Los arácnidos actuales de origen más remoto / Fossil harvestmen: The oldest surviving arachnids. ¡Fundamental! 23: 1–58 (Paleonturología 12 Prize Winner's Book). [view]
- Garwood, R.J. 2012. 3D printing? Make mine a mollusc. The Conversation. [View]
- Garwood, R.J. 2012. Patterns In Palaeontology: The first 3 billion years of evolution. Palaeontology Online 2(11): 1-14. [View]
- Rahman, I., Adcock, K. & Garwood, R.J. 2012. Virtual Fossils: A New Resource for Science Communication in Palaeontology. Evolution: Education and Outreach 5(4): 635-641. doi:10.1007/s12052-012-0458-2 [View]
- Garwood, R.J. 2011. Palaeontology In The Digital Age. Part Two: Computerized Carboniferous Creatures. Magazine of the Geologists' Association 10(2): 10-11. [View]
- Garwood, R.J. & Spencer, A. 2011. The geology and terrestrial life of the Carboniferous. Deposits Magazine. 28: 38-47 [View]
- Garwood, R.J. 2010. Palaeontology In The Digital Age. Part One: Breathing New Life Into Old Bones. Magazine of the Geologists' Association 9(3): 18-20. [View]
- Garwood, R.J. & Dunlop, J.A. 2010. Fossils Explained: Trigonotarbids. Geology Today 26(1): 34-37. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2451.2010.00742.x [View]
- Garwood, R.J., Rahman, I.A. & Sutton, M.D. 2010. From clergymen to computers: the advent of virtual palaeontology. Geology Today 26(3): 96-100. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2451.2010.00753.x [View]
For the last fifteen years I have spent a lot of my spare time as a music journalist. Although I have less time for this nowadays, I continue to make occasional contributions. From 2003 to 2011 I was the editor of ultimatemetal.com, a large online metal community and webzine. I recently had to step aside from this role due to time constraints.
Since 2004 I have also written for Zero Tolerance Magazine, at various points having acted as news, reviews and live editor. I contribute interviews with a wide variety of bands, and reviews to the magazine. ZT is available on newsstands throughout the UK, Europe, USA, NZ and Australia.
My work has appeared in a range of other magazines, and I have also edited a small book for November's Doom, released with the band's album The Novella Reservoir.
Ulver – Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Anaal Nathrakh – The Whole of the Law
Devin Townsend – Z2
Bohren & The Club of Gore – Black Earth
GosT – Posessor
Future Islands – Singles
Kiasmos – Kiasmos